Overview & Pricing
Bring your trophy deer to be scored in our Trophy Deer Contest. Get you deer’s official score, show off your deer, compete for an award and get a weekend pass.
Friday 12p.m. – 8p.m.
Saturday 9a.m. – 7p.m.
Sunday 9a.m. - 10a.m.
How to Enter
There is no advance entry; just bring your trophy to the Expo.
Early Checkout Fee
Trophy Deer Contest (to be officially scored)
FREE 3 Day Pass
Trophy Deer Contest (already pre-scored)
FREE 3 Day Pass
You do not need to buy an admission ticket because your trophy paperwork will serve as your weekend pass. Everyone else with you MUST buy a general admission ticket.
Additional contest entries (ex; you bring two deer to be scored) are $20 each. Pre -scored deer are $10 each to enter the contest and get a weekend pass. If pre-scored you must provide your own proof of official score with a copy of the official score sheet.
The trophy contest entrance is located at the end of the main concourse hallway. This entrance provides maximum security for your trophy because you do not walk through the attendee crowd. Do not bring your trophy through the main entrance, which is located off the Michigan Avenue concourse. Follow the directional signs.
Go inside the building, down the main concourse until you reach the trophy registration table. There, you will pay your entry fee and be given the necessary paperwork.
Measuring Area / Contest Headquarters
Members of the Commemorative Bucks of Michigan will be there to assist you with any questions you have.
Trophy Contest Categories
There are many ways to win. Your deer can be recognized for its unique qualities. See below for how your deer may be categorized based on several distinctions.
- Was your deer taken with Firearm, Archery, Crossbow or Muzzleloader?
- There will be separate divisions for each.
- When was your deer taken? Was it during the current year (the most recent past hunting season)
- If taken with Firearm or Archery you will indicate either the current year (the most recent past hunting season)or historical contest division (the 2nd most recent past hunting season and older).
- If taken with a Muzzleloader or Crossbow there is no current vs historical distinction, you’ll be in one division.
Typical / Non-Typical:
- Is your deer typical or non-typical?
- If your deer is typical how many points does it have? 8, 9, 10, 11,12 or 13+?
- Non-typical will be in one point class.
- Michigan whitetail deer must be taken during hunting season and hunter must be known.
- Entries do not need to be mounted, but they must have a solid skull plate and must be clean of flesh.
- Second- and third-place winners in all divisions and categories at previous expos are eligible for re-entry.
- First place winners of any prior historical firearms or archery contest are not eligible for re-entry.
- First place winners in the Muzzleloader category from any and all previous Expos are not eligible for re-entry. However, if you didn’t win first place, you can keep re-entering.
- First place winners in the Crossbow category from any and all previous Expos are not eligible for re-entry. However, if you didn’t win first place, you can keep re-entering.
Awards - Trophy Contest
- Award presentations begin at 4p.m. Sunday in Seminar Area A.
- Trophy (deer) must be present to win.
- Awards based on antler score. Awards proportional to entries: i.e. 1-3 entries in class = 1 award; 4-8 entries in class = 2 awards; 9 or more entries in class = 3 awards.
- Award trophies given.
- No cash or merchandise prizes.
Board of Honor Entries
Any past entrant that has already won 1st place in any historical category may show off their deer for others to enjoy. Board of Honor Entries will receive a FREE weekend pass with their check-in paperwork at the trophy check-in area. Please bring proof of your official score and if possible bring proof of your record to make it easy to locate you within our records system. You may bring your past display board card if you have it and we can display that with your deer. Any entries that check out early will be subject to $10 early checkout fee as with all contest entries. Board of Honor entries are not part of the contest.
How Scoring Works
- Scoring system used is Boone & Crocket. Scoring is managed by the Commemorative Bucks of Michigan.
- Certified measurers on hand for Pope & Young Club and Boone & Crockett Club qualifiers. If your trophy qualifies you will have an opportunity to enter it into an official record book. The Commemorative Bucks of Michigan will walk you through that process (additional fees apply). For questions visit www.buckfax.com
All contest entries will be hung on display boards and must remain on display until released Sunday at 3p.m.. There are no check-outs whatsoever of any trophies between noon and 3p.m. Sunday.
Early check-out (before noon Sunday) -- there will be a $10 early checkout fee per trophy. Early check-outs disrupt the measuring process and on Sunday disrupt the checking of entry lists to determine accuracy of filing, production of winner lists, and all other necessary wrap-up paperwork.
Measure-Only Non-Contest Entries
Get an official score of any in-state and out-of-state whitetails. Locked antlers may be measured (if possible). You will be required to buy a ticket to the expo and pay a $20 measuring fee.
Measure Only Entry Times
Friday 2p.m. – 8p.m.
Saturday 9a.m. – 7p.m.
Sunday 9a.m. - 2p.m.
Early Checkout Fee
If you would like your non-whitetail to be displayed for others to see let a member of Commemorative Bucks of Michigan know. Trophy will be measured only after all trophy contest entries have been measured. The fee is returned if the trophy has not yet been measured when the attendee is ready to leave. No check-outs between noon and 3p Sunday.
SHEDS-Measure-Only Non-Contest Entries
Just get an score of your shed(s). You will be required to buy a ticket to the expo and pay a $10 measuring fee per shed. There is no contest for sheds.
|Participation||Fee||Admission Ticket||Early Checkout Fee|
|Single Sheds Measure-Only||$10||Must buy ticket||N/A|
|Matched Sets Measure Only||$20||Must buy ticket||N/A|
All measure-only entries must also buy a ticket to the expo. Shed(s) will be measured only after all trophy contest entries have been measured. There shouldn't be a problem getting all "measure-only" trophies measured. Measuring crews in the past have been able to do so. The fee is returned if the shed(s) has not yet been measured when the attendee is ready to leave. No check-outs between noon and 3p.m. Sunday.
How Matched Set Shed Scoring Works
With matched sets it’s impossible to know exactly the inside spread, therefore the total score will be the left shed and right shed combined. You can estimate the total gross score by adding what you think the inside spread is. You would of course have to take into account deductions. The measurers will not be estimating total gross score for you and they will not be making deductions. They will simply measure each single beam and add both of those beam scores together for a total score.
How Typical vs Non-Typical Shed Scoring Works
With sheds there is no guarantee that a deer is typical unless you absolutely know you have the matching typical antler, but even that is not guaranteed. The individual measurer will make the final judgement call if he or she feels the sheds should be entered as singles or as a matched set.